Re: Back-meta status

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 10:35 -0700, Qiao Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to OpenLDAP and found back-meta is very useful. It provides
> features that back-ldap doesn't provide. But when I went through the mailing
> list messages, somehow it is mentioned here and there that back-meta
> eventually will go away.
>
> Is back-meta still under maintenance and development? If it does go away,
> what backend module will supercede it and how?

It is still actively developed, and will be for some time.  To make a
long story short, the essential reason for deciding to abandon it is
related to the extensive code duplication with back-ldap, and to its
tendency to becoming hairy as new features that are straightforward in
back-ldap need to be ported to back-meta.  However, recently I started a
big project with requires beck-meta's unique features.  This forced me
to revitalize it; most of the missing features had to be ported, and
now, with few notable exceptions, it's lined up with back-ldap.  Note
that, as a consequence of that project and the subsequent revitalization
of the proxy backends, back-ldap, back-meta and the reentrant version of
libldap are now much more robust than ever.  I expect Back-meta to
remain at least for the entire life of OpenLDAP 2.4.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution
OpenLDAP Core Team