Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and db4 under RHEL4 on Xen 3.0

--On Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:05 PM -0700 Michael Torrie <torriem@chem.byu.edu> wrote:

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 09:31 +0100, Howard Chu wrote:
This sounds like a question for the comp.databases.berkeley-db
newsgroup. Or, perhaps for a Xen mailing list. It is entirely possible
that Xen does not implement the instructions needed for the
assembly-language mutex support.

Yes this is the problem. Xen doesn't support this assembly-language mutex nor does it support the nptl glibc (and bdb). So far it has been discussed on the Xen mailing list but no solution has been found. I guess running OpenLDAP on xen is not that common yet so no one has any real good advice for building bdb.

RedHat has a bug report on this issue but it is marked "Won't fix" since
RHEL is not supported on any non-NPTL architecture, which is kind of
ironic since RHEL is throwing their weight behind xen which currently is
a non-NPTL architecture.  I'll try an older version of db4 from RHEL3
compiled without nptl support and see if I have any luck.  If not, I'll
degrade to an dbm backend.  I'm sure Redhat will address this issue in
RHEL5 (which will ship with xen 3.0).

I'm assuming by a "dbm" backend, you mean ldbm. Of course, ldbm is not recommended for use, because of its many problems. Honestly, if you are looking to run a directory service, I would highly advise you dump Xen, and use something where BDB is supported (and I'd suggest running OpenLDAP 2.3.20 (or higher, if newer releases have been made by the time you get to it)).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer