help installing openLDAP bind cannot contact server

Hello,
I am trying to install openLDAP on a time crunch. I am installing on Aix5.2.
First problem is that configure fails because it cannot find libldap-2.2.a      libldap-2.2.so.7* , in the path. It is looking up an extra level.

I took care of that ( temporarily ) by copying the libraries to where it is looking for them. Not a permanent solution though.

Now, I am trying to run make test, and it continues to fail with :

ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Stop.

Stop.

oh, btw, I put some debug echo statements in the test000-rootdse file, and here is the command that is failing from make test:

../clients/tools/ldapsearch -P 3 -x  -LLL -b "" -s base -h localhost -p 9011 '+extensibleObject' > ./testrun/ldapsearch.out

I  am new to openLDAP, and am in a bit of a quandry here. Can anyone point me in the right direction toward getting this installed properly ?

Thank you,
Floyd