Re: Index problems: search results returning no responses

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

Unfortunately everyone has its personal idea of the most intuitive place
where to put things, including documentation.

In this case the most obvious place for it is pretty clear.

When software doesn't work in an obvious way for whatever reason, the location for the warning should go where the end user is most likely to introduce the misunderstanding, and in this case this means in one location: directly above the indexes section of the config file.

I can think of no sane usecase for needing a manual procedure for updating indexes manually before new indexes can be used, however this is the reality for the v2.2 tree. As a result when encountering this problem, I am simply going to think "it's a bug, let me see if others have had this problem in Google" rather than "it's a feature, read this specific doc of many". If I had seen a warning above "index" in the config, I would have immediately known what to do.

This kind of thing is very important, as it impacts on the perceived reliability of the software. An LDAP service failure is often far disastrous than other service failures, and the question isn't "whose fault was it that it went down" but "could the failure have been avoided". In this case yes, with a suitable warning in the right place.

> If you can point to more
intuitive locations (based on some objective and non subjective
measurement of intuitiveness) your contribution would be greatly
appreciated.

In slapd.conf, like this:

# Indices to maintain for this database
# Warning: changing index settings requires rebuilding indices,
# see slapindex(8)
index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub

Regards,
Graham