Re: Index problems: search results returning no responses

--On Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:51 PM +0200 Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

Did you run slapindex to generate the indices for your existing database?

If you modify slapd.conf with new indices, OpenLDAP will only add it for
new/changed entries (2.3 with back-config actually does reindexing on
the fly).

No, I didn't - there was no warning message in the config file or the syslog warning that this was necessary.

Is it possible to document this in the default slapd.conf file under the
section where indexes are listed to say that this is required?

Did you look at the man pages?

<http://www.openldap.org/software/man.cgi?query=slapd-bdb&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenLDAP+2.3-Release&format=html>

Under the section "index":

Note:  changing  index  settings requires
	      rebuilding indices, see slapindex(8).

This is why reading the documentation provided is important.

Or even better, is it possible for openldap to detect when the indexes
have been changed, and make sure they are up to date on startup or on
reload?

If you use back-config in OpenLDAP 2.3, it will automatically create new indices for you when you make index changes (like I noted above).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer