Re: 2 GB filesize limit

Howard Chu wanted us to know:

>Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>> You may also split the database in smaller bits, unless it has to be
>> exactly one naming context (I don't recall if 2.1 already had the
>> glue capability).
>
>Yes, glue in 2.1 was the groundwork for overlays in 2.2.
>
>>> Gentoo with a 2.6.5 kernel, glibc 2.3.3, openldap 2.1.30.  It's
>>> doing this on 4 identical systems and 1 with a 2.6.9 kernel, so my
>>> configuration is somehow very wrong.
>>>
>>> System setup:  admin1 is the master and replicates out to ldap1 and
>>>  ldap2.  Directory listings are at the end of the email.
>>>
>>> Last night, an ldap server died with the (non-exact) error unable
>>> to write to gdbm.  The id2entry.gdbm file was a byte below 2 Gigs.
>>> In subsequent testing with dd, I cannot create a file bigger than
>>> 2*1024*1024*1024 bytes.  Could someone please verify that: a) I
>>> need to rebuild something like glibc. b) I do not need to rebuild
>>> openldap.

I think the 2 GB file limitation was a red herring.  Part of the problem
was my own impatience.  Had I been more patient, I would have seen that
I could in fact make a file bigger than 2 GB.  It just took an extra 90
seconds or so to get from 2 GB to 2.5 GB.  Dunno why exactly.  I have
one slave using ext3 and the other slave using xfs.  Will see if either
or both come up with a problem again.

Thank you for all the feedback thusfar.
--
Regards...		Todd
  We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.