Re: slapd/slurpd sporadic replication

> > I looked at the slave and it is not trying to connect.  It appears
> > that the changes will *eventually* be replicated.  I guess I will just
> > put up with the eventual changes, or transition to syncrepl
>
> Then you have something wrong. Slurpd (at least for me) always replicates
> changes made to the master within an average of 2 seconds.

My configuration for the Master is as follows:

slapd.conf

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=protected,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=manager,dc=protected,dc=com"
rootpw          {SSHA}(The Password Hash)
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
# Indices to maintain
# Indices to maintain
index           objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber     eq
index           cn,mail,surname,givenname               eq,subinitial

replica uri=ldaps://myslaveserver:636
                binddn="cn=replica,dc=symplicity,dc=com"
                bindmethod=simple
                credentials=(clear text password)

replogfile      /usr/local/etc/openldap/master-slapd.replog

The schemas are the same, the passwords align and connections are made
with no problem when its working.  The databases started out the same
(e.g. I coppied from master to slave as per instructions)

The slave slapd.conf:

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=protected,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=manager,dc=protected,dc=com"
rootpw          {SSHA}Password Hash
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
index           objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber     eq
index           cn,mail,surname,givenname               eq,subinitial
updatedn        "cn=replica,dc=protected,dc=com"
updateref       ldaps://master.protected.com

cn=replica exists in the the slave's directory.

On both machines, slapd.conf resides in
/usr/local/etc/openldap
This directory is Read W and X by user ldap.

The Slapd Daemon runs as ldap.
The slurpd runs as root (I can't find a way to get it to run as ldap)
the sync replogs live in /var/lib/ldap
Its write, read, ex for user root.

Thanks again for the follow up,

- Brent