Re: LDAP hangs requiring slapd stop and deleting __db.00* files

--On Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:33 AM -0800 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>
wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing this problem also, using openldap version 2.2.23.  In my case,
>> clearing things up requires the following steps:
>>
>> service ldap stop
>> /usr/sbin/slapd_db_recover -h /var/lib/ldap
>> service ldap start
>> chown -R ldap.ldap /var/lib/ldap
>> service ldap start
>>
>> For some reason, the db_recover deletes:
>> -rw-------   1 ldap ldap   16384 Mar 28 22:22 __db.001
>> -rw-------   1 ldap ldap  278528 Mar 28 22:22 __db.002
>> -rw-------   1 ldap ldap   98304 Mar 28 22:22 __db.003
>> -rw-------   1 ldap ldap  450560 Mar 28 22:22 __db.004
>> -rw-------   1 ldap ldap   24576 Mar 28 22:22 __db.005
>>
>> and the first service ldap start creates them owned by root, then, ldap
>> dies because they are owned by root and not ldap.  The second service
>> ldap start starts the ldap daemon.
>>

> As the OpenLDAP project does not provide start/stop scripts, this is an
> issue for you to take up with whoever packaged the version you're using,
> or whoever wrote your service start script.

Not really... The script simply runs the following two commands:

/usr/sbin/slaptest -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
daemon /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h '"ldap://<myhost>/ ldaps://<myhost>/"'

There's some other stuff that provides pretty wrapping for the display,
but, nothing else that would affect /var/lib/ldap.  I suspect that
the slaptest is creating these files.

Sure enough, it is.  No mention of a -u argument for slaptest, so, that
is the source of the problem.

>> I don't know about idlcachesize... What is a reasonable value to put
>> there? It is not documented or even mentioned in my slapd.conf(5)
>> manpage. Is it new to 2.2.24?
>>

> The idlcachesize setting was introduced in 2.1.10 and has been in the
> slapd-bdb(5) manpage ever since.

Got it... I've learned something... That looks like a very useful manpage
that I didn't even know existed. :-(

Owen