Re: Compiling OpenLDAP on Mac OS X v10.3 Panther

--On Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:58 PM +0100 Finlay Dobbie <finlay.dobbie@gmail.com> wrote:

Attempting to compile OpenLDAP (2.3.2beta or 2.2.24) results in the
following message:

cc -g -O2 -o dntest dntest.o  ./.libs/libldap.a
/Users/finlay/openldap-2.3.2beta/libraries/liblber/.libs/liblber.a
../../libraries/liblber/.libs/liblber.a
../../libraries/liblutil/liblutil.a -lssl -lcrypto
ld: Undefined symbols:
_res_9_dn_expand
_res_9_query
make[2]: *** [dntest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1

These symbols are in libresolv. There are two solutions: either use
the BIND 8 resolver API or add -lresolve to the LDFLAGS. However, this
should be detected by the build system so it compiles out of the box.

Jason Townsend provided a patch, but it was rejected unequivocally
(see
<http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Build?id=2763;expression=lresolv;s
tatetype=-1>).

Actually, the ITS says it was applied to HEAD and RE22. I'm not sure why you think it was rejected.

Is building out of the box not a goal?

It builds out of the box for me just fine, as long as I follow the INSTALL documentation and set my build environment variables appropriately.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer