Re: slapd: Too many open files

--On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:21 PM +0000 Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:

* Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> [0321 17:21]:

--On Monday, March 21, 2005 5:43 AM +0000 Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:

> * Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> [0302 21:02]:
>> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>>
>>> --On Sunday, March 20, 2005 2:48 PM +0530 Saket Sathe

>>> This problem is not specific to OpenLDAP, as it is an OS related
>>> error.
>
> I've seen this before when using include statements within slapd.conf
> and accidentally including a file within itself.
>
> I'm not saying the OP is as dumb as me, but it's worth a check ....

If you can reproduce that, I'd suggest filing an ITS at:

<http://www.openldap.org/its/>

Would you say that's a bug? Just to clarify, I mean I split out my access controls into master.acl and have a line

include /usr/local/etc/openldap/masta.acl

in slapd.conf, but masta.acl itself has a line saying

include /usr/local/etc/openldap/masta.acl

at the top.

I call that pilot error - though I'll still file an ITS if you like...

It certainly is a pilot error, but the error you are reporting it saying is really non-intuitive to the problem. I would hope that the parser would throw a meaningful error if the same file is included twice, rather than 'Too many open files'.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer