ldapbind command

We administer our directory with amongst other things a simple web
interface that's specific to our needs.  Authenticating an admin user (by
the web server) is done by binding with the supplied user/password and
reading their password attribute, relying on ACLs to allow authenticated
admin users to read others' (encrypted) passwords.

Yeah, I think it's ugly too, but I didn't write it.  Anyway...  I see that
other LDAP implementations (Oracle Internet Directory, for example)
support an "ldapbind" command that simply takes the credentials and
attempts to bind with them.

Has anyone written such a thing for OpenLDAP and would be willing to share
it?  Would anyone be interested in such a thing if I wrote it (seems to be
a simple change to ldapsearch, by invoking it as ldapbind)?  Or is there a
better way to do it?

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 8425-5508 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon, NSW 2064, Australia