Re: OpenLDAP starts, but...

Given this error:
  TLS: error:1408A0C1:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher

I'd make sure your ciphersuite settings are sensible.  Given
that ldapsearch was able to agree on a cipher with s_server,
particular attention to the slapd(8) cipher setting would
be appropriate.  I suggest commenting out any TLSCipherSuite
directive that you might have in slapd.conf(5) (since you
didn't provide a -cipher to s_server).  (And, before you
add TLSCipherSuite/TLS_CIPHER_SUITE back into to your OpenLDAP
configuration, you test with -cipher first.)

And, if that doesn't help, example other settings.  You
should be able to translate your s_client/s_server success
to ldapsearch/slapd success.  There is a direct relationship
between s_client/s_server options and ldapsearch/slapd
configuration options.

And if that doesn't help... I'd make sure you have not only
have the latest "stable" releases of OpenLDAP and OpenSSL
installed, but that you've installed them properly.

Kurt