Re: newbie questions - configuring

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 redredpanda@gmail.com wrote:

i am trying to set up openldap on a server running FreeBSD 5.3. i'm
having a horrible time trying to get ldap to work with tls/ssl. i read
the FAQ's and the oreily ldap sys admin book and tried all the
suggestions, still nothing..

i think my problem is in generating the certificates, i just can't
seem to get it to work. it seems that ldaps is listening on the
correct ports, but i'm not sure how to configure the clients to
connected using ldaps rather than ldap. i calso can't tell if the
server is configured correctly.

I followed the instructions posted here:

under 'Using Certificates' and it worked perfectly. We're running
OpenLDAP 2.2.23 under RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.1.

is there a way to test to see if the certifcate for the server i generated is ok?

Use the OpenSSL tools: man x509 for info on displaying the contents of a certificate man s_client for info on testing your SSL service

so, my main question is, what is insecure about using ldap instead of using ldaps? also, any insight into certificates would be greatly apreciated.

thanks!

_panda

-- Kirk Turner-Rustin | Programmer/Analyst Ohio Wesleyan University | Libraries and Information Services http://www.owu.edu | http://lis.owu.edu