RE: TLS/SSL problems, server side certificate not recognized

Hello. This is a complex area, however I'll try and list the gotchas that
I've learnt over the last few weeks.

1. MAKE SURE the "cn" in your cert is the same as the host name of the
server (as given by "hostname -f", and MAKE SURE this value is in the hosts
file as the primary host name (not an alias) on your client machines as well
as your server. ALSO MAKE SURE you reference the server in slapd.conf,
ldap.conf and any other files by it's name rather than an IP address.

2. The server's cert, key and the cert of the ca that signed it need to be
located on the server and readable by slapd, etc. These should be referenced
in host files using their full path.

3. The client's cert, key and the cert of the ca that signed it need to be
located on the server and readable by slapd, etc. These should be referenced
in host files using their full path.

4. Use ldapsearch -d -1 to test - it's very verbose and you'll be able to
see what is going on.

5. Post again if you need more help. Persevere, it does work out in the
end!!!!!