Editing standard schema files / search filters

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to LDAP (openldap) and am currently in the process of programming LDAP support into an in-house program as well as learning about LDAP at the same time.

What I need to know is, how much of a sin is it to edit what I believe is "standard" LDAP schema (eg /etc/ldap/schema/nis.ldap) ?

I wanted to get >= and <= working in search filters, and the way I achieved that was to add the rule "ORDERING integerOrderingMatch" to the uidNumber attribute, in the nis.schema file distributed with OpenLDAP 2.1.

It doesn't feel like the right way to do it to me, so is there a better way to achieve the same thing, or is this way correct?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Robert Davidson.