LDAPADD command hangs

Dear all,

Hope someone out there could help me here.
Openldap was installed on LINUX with 256MRAM.
A separate entity does an insertion using ldapadd to the openldap every
millisecond.
When the system went life, open to public....the ldapadd command just hangs
there. The traffic was really huge hence disrupting new CRL updates and
other insertion via ldapadd.
What we've done is open the slave machine for public access so that the
master openldap machine is dedicated for the insertion, hence not disrupting
new data from being updated.

Originally what we did was use host.deny and host.allow to control traffic
but we realised external all our uses couldn't get in hence that was not the
right solution. The above action seems to work. However, do you have any
other ideas ?

Also, the connection and query is taking a long time. How would one control
the traffic to openldap ? Do we introduce load balancer ? Openldap only has
1 listener running I think, can one increase this so that it can manage
multiple query ? How does it actually manage all these queries. Is it in a
queue ? Max how many concurrent users could it manage ? Anyone could guide
me how to improve the performance ? When I click on each DN, it takes a long
time to actually populate the result but when it does it flows very quickly.
The next time i do a refresh (am using Softerra LDAP Browser to view it),
again it takes a long time before actually populating it.

Seek yr advise.

thx.

.sakthi