Re: Does OpenLDAP cache writes?

--On Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:36 PM -0600 fuser9bb@hotpop.com wrote:

We are running openldap2-2.2.6-37.22 on SuSE 9.1 Pro on a Dell. Since
getting this server we have had the system freeze a few times (looking
into hardware issues right now). The freezes required that we hard reset
the server. When this happens we seem to lose edits to our LDAP directory
from the last week or so. (We have a few new account entries, and a few
password changes--this directory is used for mail routing.)

Does slapd do any kind of long-term caching? I would think that anything
more than an hour or two old will have been written to disk and should be
okay. Yet, it seems that a reboot always causes recent changes to be
lost, but older data to stay around.

I'm not sure what could be causing this and am wondering if anyone has
any ideas.

And yes, we are working on the freezing issue, and the lost data and
lock-ups are probably directly related, but I'm just curious if slapd is
doing any caching that I can disable to ensure this doesn't happen again
if the system locks up again.

The database environment does caching, but if you use the checkpoint in slapd.conf directive, you can force BDB to write out its data more often. I'd note that OL 2.2.6 is very ancient and many critical bugs have been fixed since that time. SuSE does a good job of keeping newer OL distributions available, I'd research updating to a newer OL 2.2 release.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html