krb5_verify_user

I recently setup a RHEL 3 ldap server (2.2.20) that is currently
running slapd. I installed phpldapadmin on the ldap server, and can
create new ldap entries.

I pointed a RHEL 3 client to the ldap server with /etc/nsswitch and
edited the client's /etc/ldap.conf. As root, I attempted to su to a
different user and I received the following error on the client:

krb5_verify_user: unable to reach any KDC in realm xxx.xxx

I simply hit the enter key, and the uid changes.

When a standard user attempts to su to another standard user, the su
fails and the userid remains the same.

Is this a ldap configuration error?

TIA,

swa