Using VisualBasic to access OpenLDAP v2.2.20

I want to write a small address book client (lookups of name, campus
phone, address, email etc) to distribute to PC users on campus to
access our main server, running OpenLDAP v2.2.20, and my thought was to
do it in VisualBasic (.NET) to get a native executable.  Problem is,
there doesn't seem to be any LDAP documentation for non-Active
Directory/ADSI access.  Can anyone tell me what's required to access
OpenLDAP using VisualBasic and perhaps have a snippet or two of code
you would be willing to share.

Thanks.

--
Rob Tanner