ldapmodify and adding Norwegian characters

Hi all

I'm trying to modify records, adding names with norwegian characters lik Æ, Ø and Å.
I can't seem to find any references to international character sets in man-pages, /etc/sysinit, grepping /etc, by googling or in the book "LDAP System Administration". Am I missing something here?

Even when using double-quotes around the name I get the following error:
ldap_modify: Invalid syntax (21)
       additional info: sn: value #0 invalid per syntax

My systems run SuSE 9.2, with the following relevant environment variables:
LC_CTYPE=nb_NO.iso_8859_1
LANG=nb_NO

Cheers
Rolf