Re: Importance of running the latest'n'greatest version

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 13:22, Jonas Helgi Palsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running OpenLDAP on SLES 9 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) and the
> version supplied with it is not the "latest'n'greatest"
>
> ldapsjef:~ # rpm -q openldap2
> openldap2-2.2.6-37.26
> ldapsjef:~ #
>

> And in the changelog for the rpm the newest entry is dated Nov 10
> 2004, where it says:
> - bdb-2.2.18-backport.dif: Backport of the back-bdb from OpenLDAP
> 2.2.18, should fix some deadlocks and crashes (Bugzilla #42570)
>
> So what is the common opinion here? Should one stick to the versions
> supplied by the distributor (in this case SuSE), or should one
> download the "latest'n'greatest" from openldap.org and compile it
> yourself?

That depends. If you want OpenLDAP support from the distributor (SuSE in
this case) you should run the package supplied by the distributor.
If you like to get help from the OpenLDAP mailing you might be better
off when using the lastest version released by the OpenLDAP Project (or
at least the one marked as "stable").

--
Ralf