Migrating user database between OpenLDAP instances

We recently migrated our user database from an old RedHat 7.3 machine
that ran with a locally compiled OpenLDAP 2.1.22 to a Debian/testing
machine with the slapd 2.1.30-3 package installed.  The migration of
the tree was done with slapcat and slapadd.

After migration we found that a lot of the password hashes would no
longer work for our users.  Resetting the password and thus generating
a new hash (which was different from the old, even though the password
was the same) would make it work.

The friendly people on #ldap@freenode suggested that it might be
because the two different slapd were linked with libraries with
different and conflicting crypt() functions.

Is there a way to fix this so that the old hashes will work on the new
OpenLDAP?  Preferably without having to recompile a local version of
the Debian slapd package.

--
Øyvind Grønnesby