Re: user bind with plain text password

At 05:49 AM 11/2/2004, giuseppe pasqualotto wrote:
>Hi!
>I want to test ACL on my openldap tree for a new user, such as cn=replica,dc=example,dc=com.
>The problem is neither in creating it, nor in setting relative permissions.
>Instead: how can I test the correct parameters if, by command line (ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapmodify, ecc.) , I can specify only a plain text password (-w or -W options), while in userPassword field it stores a crypted (SHA) password?

By design.  LDAP simple bind authentication is clear text
(which, of course, should only be used if data confidentiality
services are in place).  Password hashing (use of {SHA} or other
schemes) doesn't change that.  If you don't want to disclose the
actual password to the server, then you should be using a
different authentication mechanism (such as DIGEST-MD5, or
even CRAM-MD5).

Kurt