Re: How to discover ldap servers in a network.

There is no standardized method for finding LDAP
servers on a network, or for a domain... but
OpenLDAP Software has some features in both of these
areas.

slapd(8) supports the server location protocol
(--enable-slp) based upon OpenSLP.

OpenLDAP libldap has some routines to map DNs to
domain names and to do find LDAP servers for
domain names.  See dnssrv.c.

I note the more traditional approach would be to
simply configure your client with knowledge of
some set of LDAP servers and then to use these
servers to find others.  slapd-dnssrv(5) may be
useful here.

Kurt