Re: [REPOST] Getting OpenLDAP on RedHat AS3 working properly

On Thursday 23 September 2004 19:20, Rob Tanner wrote:
> [I hate it when I press the send button, and that wasn't what I was
> intending to do]
>
> Hi,
>
> I have tried all sorts of things to optimize OpenLDAP performance on
> the default distrubtion included with RedHat AS3, but no matter what
> I do, for some attributes indexing is quick and for others it's not.
> A search on uid, for example, returns results almost instantaneously.
>  On the other hand, even a search for just the presence of a cn
> attribute takes several seconds to return anything (uid presence is
> likity split).  The RedHat build uses ldbm and apparently only, and
> I'm thinking that might be the problem being that I can't seem to
> switch to bdb (is an unrecognized database type).  I'm presuming it's
> built with TLS/SSL, but I actually don't know that at this point.
>
> What I wanted to try was to go ahead and build OpenLDAP from source,
> but when I do that, I get the error:
>
> checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
> checking for ssl.h... no
> configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package
>
> The include file is in /usr/include/openssl and I even replicated it
> in /usr/local/openssl just in case.  Also in /usr/lib is the library
> libssl3.so which is a shared resource, and I added a link in
> /usr/local/lib.
>
> Any idea what I shgould do next?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Hi,
first of all you should get the latest sources of  Berkeley DB and the
two patches available. After installing them, you can build openldap.
On RHEL 3 you will have to export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/kerberos/include",
cause 'krb5.h' can't be found: that causes the above mentioned error.
Doing this, you will get a pretty fine working openldap, that is running
very stable and performing on AS3.0. On that platform i'm running
2.2.15 for 2 month now without any problem.

Georg