SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_ANY_LEN & co

How do these slap.h constants work?  I take it IF_MINLEN means that
initial/final substrings of 2 chars or more are indexed, and ANY_LEN
means substrings of 4 chars or more are indexed.  But what do IF_MAXLEN
and ANY_STEP do, and how do these constants interact?

What i want is to index substrings of 3 or more chars, so I'll modify at
least ANY_LEN - but I don't know what else.  I suspect I asked before,
but buried the answer somewhere:-(

/* constants for initial/final substrings indices */
#ifndef SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_IF_MINLEN
# define SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_IF_MINLEN	2
#endif
#ifndef SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_IF_MAXLEN
# define SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_IF_MAXLEN	4
#endif

/* constants for any substrings indices */
#ifndef SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_ANY_LEN
# define SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_ANY_LEN	4
#endif
#ifndef SLAP_INDEX_SUBSTR_ANY_STEP