Re: fascism

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

I guess I would suppose you are not familiar with the world of computers and software.

That certainly make arguing against me more comfy. Don't read my resume. You might burst your bubble. http://www.chicks.net/resume.shtml

For example, if I send in a core to Sun, and say: "Solaris is core dumping on me, please if it." and Sun analyzes the core, and they say "Oh, the problem is the IP Filter package you installed that doesn't come with our operating system", they aren't going to help me (at least with Solaris 8, where it is not a standard package). What they tell me is: Please go contact the responsible party.

That's fine. I've paid commercial UNIX vendors for support before too. Sadly I found that their answer was always that it was somebody elses fault even if I was just trying to make a simple serial line filter work with reliable interrupts. The "it's not my problem" answer is often the first answer in many commercial software operations. Sadly its often a convenient lie.

So, that is what I do. This isn't some made up scenario, it is one that has happened to me. And Stanford *pays* Sun money for support.

Stanford gets stiffed by SUN again? Surprise, surprise.

You aren't paying anything for OpenLDAP.

I understand that.

You aren't paying anything for its related software pieces.

Yep.

If you want support at a paid level, I suggest you hire a company that provides support for OpenSource products like Symas Corporation.

I'm not asking for support at a paid level. I'm just asking to be allowed to have this discussion without people who don't know the answer choosing to supress conversation.

The problem you are having has everything to do with Microsoft & MS Outlook. You were pointed at the correct resource for your problem several times, and yet you insisted on repeatedly posting to the list, and then heaping "verbal" abuse on the list maintainer.

I've continued discussing the relevance of what I'm trying to talk about despite being rudely cut off. Just because you and Kurt don't like what I
say doesn't make it abusive. Abusive speech is truly a different thing. Given what's happened thus far, trying to label me as committing acts I haven't is just the sort of thing I shouldn't be surprised by.

That is neither professional or called for.

I beg to differ.

--
</chris>

-- C.A.R. Hoare