Re: beginner problem

Hallo, Dieter,
(sorry, was not in the office for two days),
I had delete all data files (LINUX) under the default dir /usr/local/var/openldap-data.
start after deleting with debug gives back "panic- will reconfigure database" , system creates a logfile log.0000001 (?) and stops working.
This I could repeate with the same error messages,
next step was, I deleted the log file and result is, that slapd never starts and slapadd gives the information:
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
Is there anywhere a config- file for the dbd, whitch is needed or is corrupted?
another question related to the answer: have I everytime to stop and to restart the slapd if I insert a new dataset? Is that a speciality of Berkeley DB or depends on LDAP- architecture?

Wolfgang