replicating back-sql data

Hi

We are using back-sql to point to a sybase database. ldap_entries is a view of about 40,000 entries. It's working ok. Unfortunately, every time a search like this is executed:

ldapsearch -H ldaps://xx.uen.org -D uid=bmidgley,dc=my,dc=uen,dc=org -x -W -d 256 -z 10 "(uid=bmidgley)"

It looks like the backend selects all records from ldap_entries. It takes about 6 seconds on our fastest db server.

Is there a way to replicate this back-sql data into a traditional openldap backend to improve performance? I know slurpd needs a log so that won't work. Is there anything out there that will just do a brute force push from one ldap db to another? I think this would be more reasonable than constant heavyweight user lookups. We could deal with some lag time in the updates.

BTW, we have several web apps that use the sybase data so unfortunately we have to stick with it being the definitive database.

--
Brad