From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 5:10 PM
To: Tay, Gary
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: DB_CONFIG causes bdb_db_init FATAL or PANIC error, renaming
it helps

Tay, Gary wrote:

> I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.13 with BDB 4.2.52, and I notice that this
> "Bug"?
>
> On a testing server, whenever I stop the LDAP server, clean up *.bdb,
> __db.* and log.*, and try to rebuild the LDAP server, I am always
> frightened by FATAL or PANIC errors, something like:
>
> bash-2.05# /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 10 -u ldap -h "ldap:///
> ldaps:///" ...
> bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3,
> 2003)
> bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
> bdb(dc=example,dc=com): PANIC: fatal region error detected; run
recovery
> bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
> database recovery (-30978)
> backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (-30978)
> bdb(dc=example,dc=com): txn_checkpoint interface requires an
> environment configured for the transaction subsystem
> bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
> slapd stopped.
> connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
>
> I have to temporarily renamed DB_CONFIG before the rebuild and rename
> it back after the rebuild, just to get around it.
>
> Anyone experienced this and reported this as a bug? Or know why went
> wrong?
>
> Content of DB_CONFIG:
> set_cachesize 0 209715200 0
> set_lg_regionmax        131072
> set_lg_bsize            2097152
>
> RAM of LDAP Server: 640MB
>
> Gary

Most likely you don't have enough free memory to accomodate the cache
size you've chosen. By renaming the file and starting up, the BDB
library creates an environment of its default size. Renaming back to
DB_CONFIG after the environment has been created will have no effect on
the cache or log settings. Use a smaller cache, get some more RAM, or
kill whatever other programs are running that are using up the rest of
your memory.

--
  -- Howard Chu