Re: Install package

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:14:07 -0700
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> Bengt Hammarlin wrote:
>
> >I am sorry if I was unclear. My question was not so much a matter of
> >install system per se, but rather what files go where. The
> >information regarding installation is not particularly easy to find
> >from the makefiles. I am rather well versed in Make but still
> >consider that info as obscure at best.
> >I was hoping that someone in this forum has a clear description of
> >what files I need to collect and where they are supposed to go.
> >

> The source is always the ultimate authority.

This seems to be a popular answer on this list. It _should_ be, 'the
development documentation is the ultimate source', and I'd appriciate it
if somebody would then add, 'and with autoconf software like openldap
you can usually do things like this' ;-)

> It is unambiguous and
> irrefutable, and you should leverage this fact:
>
>      make install prefix=/my/tmp/dir
>      cd /my/tmp/dir; tar cf /tmp/openldap.tar .

I usually do

./configure --prefix=<final install prefix>
make depend
make
make DESTDIR=<packaging directory> install

and then go onto the local packaging system.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams