ldapmodify

I've got a whitepages listing, and I'm trying to migrate posixAccounts into
it.  I've gleaned the necessary data from the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
files,  and I'm trying to use the ldapmodify command to put it in.  First of
all, here is a sample of part of the LDIF:

dn: cn=Joe Schmo,ou=people,dc=mydomain,dc=com
changetype: modify
add: objectclass
objectClass: posixAccount
-
replace:uid
uid: joe
uidNumber: 1001
userPassword: {crypt}7FZxyiS7L2E9I
loginShell: /dev/null
gidNumber: 2000
homeDirectory: /home/angel
gecos: Angel Clark

Since everything below the uid is a simple 'add' I don't think I have to put
any directives for that stuff.  Anyway I have tried with and without.  Here
is my ldapmodify command and the result:
baa:/etc/openldap # ldapmodify -D "cn=Manager,dc=borkholder,dc=com" -W -a -x
-r -f mail.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Joe Schmo,ou=people,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
ldapmodify: update failed: cn=Joe Schmo,ou=people,dc=mydomain,dc=com
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type (17)
        additional info: replace: attribute type undefined

I am sure that there's a simple syntax error.  I have RTFM'd and Googled and
looked on the Faq-O-Matic, and I'm coming up empty.  I also tried to use
slapadd without the 'changetype' things and get similar errors.  :(