RE: LDAP browser

If you have a flat directory structure (i.e. all entries under the root), JX will try to read the whole thing into memory, parsing the strings etc. as it goes.  I'm a little surprised that it would run out of memory if it really has got 512Mb to play with, but I think the java VM defaults to 128Mb (?) and it could well hit that limit.  You'd need to run java giving it a bit more memory... however JX performance might still be crippled if it's trying to scroll through a list of 15,000 entries.  The problem isn't the size of the directory - JX happily browses multi-million entry databases every day - the problem is how many entries appear at a particular level in the left hand pane; over a thousand or so browsing performance becomes very poor, and java swing begins to creak...

Mitch

From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Nelson ._
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 9:38 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: LDAP browser

Hi people,

I tried jxplorer but it gives "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError" messages
and stops reading my openldap DIT, which has about 15000 entries.
The interface looks beautifull, but ...
I am using linux, and have 512MB RAM
GQ works very well, on same DIT.

Nelson

anis wrote:

Hi,

did you write the whole DN of the root user?

I would suggest you use JXPlorer. It´s not only a viewer, you couls also
manage your entities with it. and it´s free:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jxplorer/

ciao
anis