ldapsearch failed to authenticate password

Hi there,
I have successfully installed openldap-2.2.14 on SuSe
SLES 8.1 Linux to work with mysql-3.23.52-27.
I can use ldapsearch from another Linux box to
retrieve successfully a user details from the OpenLDAP
host with backend MySql using the following options;
# ldapsearch  -x -h <ldapserver>  -b
"cn=user1,ou=contacts,dc=example,dc=com"

But when I use the option -W to prompt for simple
password authentication it fails;
$ ldapsearch -x -h rajah -W -b
'cn=user1,ou=contacts,dc=example,dc=com'
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

I have the userPassword attribute in the
ldap_attr_mappings mapped to the backend MySql user
password. There is no problem with the MySql user
password.

Much thanks,
Daniel Lim