OpenLDAP 2.2 crashes with BDB but not LDBM

We're preparing to upgrade a bunch of servers with
OpenLDAP 2.0 on SuSE 8.0 and 8.1 to OpenLDAP 2.2 on SuSE 9.1. I finally got all my LDIFs exported from the 2.0 directory via slapcat straightened out to comply with the stricter schema checking of 2.2, new Samba 3 schema, etc, and got it into the 2.2 directory on a test server via slapadd. Linux authentication works fine. However, if I'm using BDB as the database, any add, delete, or modify operation crashes OpenLDAP. I can't use ldapadd to add a user, ldappasswd to change a password, or ldapdelete to delete a user without it crashing. If I change the backend to LDBM, everything works fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason Joines