how do you delete the entire openldap bdb database

I'm preparing for an upgrade from OpenLDAP 2.0 with ldbm to OpenLDAP 2.2 with bdb. I have a test 2.2 server up and wish to experiment with converting my 2.0 slapcat exported ldif file to conform with new schema and such.
I ran slapadd to populate the 2.2 server. Some of my conversions were bad so I want to remove all the entries and run the population again. I delete everything in my database directory via "rm /var/lib/ldap/*", and verify everything is gone via "ls -l /var/lib/ldap/". However, when I then start the server back up, it starts without errors and if I do a search I see all of the entries of my fully populated directory. "ls -l /var/lib/ldap/" reveals that all of the files have returned (__db.001 __db.002 __db.003 __db.004 __db.005 dn2id.bdb id2entry.bdb log.0000000001). I stop the server, delete them all again, and search the entire disk for these files finding nothing. When I start it again, they all return again.
How do I get back to a brand new, empty, directory without re-installing?

Thanks,

Jason Joines