Re: Multiple names for base dn?

Daniel Henninger wrote:
Folk,

I'm switching our base dn from o=NCSU,c=US to dc=ncsu,dc=edu.
Unfortunately, a lot of folk are currently using o=NCSU,c=US.  In an ideal
world, I'd like to see o=NCSU,c=US effectively be an alias to
dc=ncsu,dc=edu.  Is this possible?  Any suggestions?  =/  I can not see
any way to utilize aliases or referals to accomplish this, since they are
different bases.

Daniel

Hey! We're going through exactly the same thing here at Wake Forest. We're using the LDAP backend to handle translations:

# the 'fake' database, for legacy clients
database        ldap
suffix          "o=WFU,c=US"
uri             ldap://localhost
suffixmassage   o=WFU,c=US      ou=Users,dc=wfu,dc=edu

A word of warning, though: the LDAP backend is much slower than BDB, creates twice the number of connections, and (at least for us) may be causing our OpenLDAP 2.1.30 server to crash.

For Linux, we had to increase __FD_SETSIZE in /usr/include/bits/typesizes.h to twice the number of maximum expected end-user connections. Be sure to compile with "--enable-rewrite" and "--enable-ldap".

HTH,
John
--
           John Borwick