A few contradictions

Hi list!

I just started with openldap a few days ago. After a lot of reading,
installing and testing I'm still confused. My problems are:

1. Installing
I tried debian's apt-get to get a slapd runnig. After some odd things I
decided to compile the latest version. It was impossible for me to install it
this way. configure was complainig about the path to BerkeleyDB. (exactly to
db.h) Nothing helped.
Next I switched to FreeBSD. I had to experience a similar problem. configure
said:
checking for db.h... yes
checking for Berkeley DB link (default)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB thread support... no
checking Berkeley DB version for BDB backend... no
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

I installed (via ports and tar-balls) several BerkleyDB-versions. All without
success. I found this:
env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib
./configure --enable-ldbm --prefix=/usr/local/openldap-2.1.22 --enable-monitor

Nothing. How is it possible to get the configure script pleased and finally
compile everything?

2. The client side
The last chance to have a running slapd was the port collection. And it works!
But I have a 2.2.2beta now and it is probably better to have the latest
version but...
I adapted the slap.conf and ldap.conf to my needs, set a password and made my
first ldif-files. I typed in the ldapadd command and now I have a very simple
structure.
I can see it with ldapserch or gq (a gtk ldap browser). Well, I added things
like displayName, homePostalAddress, mail, postalcode, but I can't search/see
them. Nor with ldapsearch neither with gq. Why? I included all the schemas
in /schemas in my slapd.conf.
I just tried to delete all entries to (ldap)add another structure for testing.
I did:
bash-2.05b# ldapdelete -W -h localhost -r
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Why is that now? How can I erase all entries and start over?

3. What I originally wanted
Those addressbook things are not that important. I just want to understand
some basics. Maybe later it is usefull to search for a telephonenumber or
email address. First of all I want user authentication for samba (and ftp,
webserver). I always found samba as a PDC in conjunction with ldap. Is this a
must?

Thanks a lot for guiding me. I hope things will be clearer.

Cheers,

Oliver.