Re: caching magic

Igor Brezac wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, June 17, 2004 4:09 PM -0400 Igor Brezac <igor@ipass.net>
wrote:

This can go in DB_CONFIG:
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_shm_key.html

True, but I rather not see that documented via OpenLDAP if there's a mechanism provided via slapd.conf for doing it, so that we don't end up with confused users.

Actually False, as I already pointed out. The only reason there is a slapd.conf mechanism for shm_key is because it cannot be accomplished any other way. If there was an existing DB_CONFIG mechanism that was adequate by itself, then we would not duplicate it in slapd. The main exception to this policy is "dbnosync" which was intentionally preserved for backward compatibility with back-ldbm. ("lockdetect" is another exception which turned into an obvious mistake - the slapd.conf keyword duplicates the functionality of DB_CONFIG, but it doesn't accept all the values that are legal for DB_CONFIG. Nor is it particularly useful to even change this setting. This keyword needs to be removed from back-bdb...) Otherwise, if you see it in the slapd-bdb manpage, that means it needed to be there because there's no other way to do it.

I agree that we should not confuse users.  As things are right now, you
can specify shm_key in slapd.conf, but you cannot specify how much shared
memory to allocate.  This may be confusing to some.

I think it would be cleaner if everything goes to DB_CONFIG or slapd.conf.

It might look cleaner yes, but for reasons I already spelled out in the FAQ-o-Matic, it is not feasible. It is impossible to do all the configuration solely via DB_CONFIG, and it is unreliable to do it all via slapd.conf. The one feature that would make it feasible would be the ability to call BDB's config parsing routines from slapd, so that we could place arbitrary BDB directives into slapd.conf, but the BDB library doesn't export that interface.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun