RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

--On Tuesday, June 15, 2004 9:27 AM -0600 Michael L Torrie <torriem@chem.byu.edu> wrote:

Well said.  While the posts from the OpenLDAP developers do have good
points, your points are also very well taken.  I am no linux newbie, and
also have set up many databases in my day.  I don't know a lot about
tuning, other than tweaking some of the more documented settings and
have always received reasonable performance from those database
servers.  OpenLDAP, however, has alwas caused me problems.  The most
common problem I see is index corruption, or just plain segfaults, both
of which are really hard to reproduce for the developers since they seem
to be triggered by problems in my database (usually the standard
recovery and reindex commands send it on its way again).  We've now
taken to stopping LDAP every night, dumping it out with slapcat (for
backup purposes), running slapindex, and restarting it.  This seems to
prevent some of the indexing problems we've seen, and keep OpenLDAP a
bit more stable.

Hm... That is an interesting problem. Stanford's directory servers have been running in production since April 2003. Although we've seen issues periodically in OpenLDAP, I've never had my indices be corrupt. Note that I personally do not suggest the use of slapindex, ever, and the fact that you slapindex your database regularly could potentially be the cause of your index corruption. It is *always* more efficient to slapcat and then slapadd a database. On top of that, it leaves you with a clean set of DB files, while slapindex leaves the old data behind in the DB files.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer