Re: substring search problem

Let me add that the search you want to perorm looks flawed to me: having a
DN valued attribute implies the notion of membership, or strong tie;
performing a substring search on a strong tie is flawed, since all that
search can return is the entry a value is listed in.

The opposite definitely makes sense; e.g. if your directory enforces the
notion of "memberOf", i.e. members of a group have a link to the group in
their attributes, a substring search makes sense, i.e. you would build a
filter like

    (&(uid=sub*)(member=exactDN))

and you yould obtain a set of entries with exact membership.  Otherwise,
if all you need is find what agencies actually have employees, you can use

    (&(objectClass=agency)(employee=*))

"nearly" membership, i.e. using a substring on a unique key like a DN,
sounds meaningless.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati