Re: need suggestion on indexing big directory

--On Wednesday, June 09, 2004 10:03 PM +0200 vadim tarassov <vadim.tarassov@swissonline.ch> wrote:

Hi Quanah,

now it gets really interesting. As I have mentioned before I've tried to
index database with significantly less entries and indexes on hardware
very much comparable to yours (sun fire v100). It was taking days to
complete it, although you are managing the same during 2 hours.

I am using OL stable (2.1.30). I assume you are already on 2.2.X, right?
Can I attribute such dramatic difference in time we need to complete
backend load to difference in OL versions?

Thanx a lot and best regards, vadim tarassov.

Yes. You can't use a shared memory cache in 2.1. Note that you may need to tweak your kernel parameters:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=3221225472

in /etc/system allows a 3 GB shared memory cache, for example.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer