Re: What's usefulness of monitor backend?

I use cricket and a little home grown Net::LDAP script; this seemed
easier to me than installing snmpd and populating it with ldap info.
If you're interested in looking at any of this, contact me off list.

Best,

-- On Feb 19,  8:57pm, Micah Anderson wrote:
> Subject: Re: What's usefulness of monitor backend?
> Sorry for taking so long to type this up...
>
> This was actually an effort based on two different websites, and my own
> hacking. I will provide a summary of what I did here, the relevant
> websites are:
>
> CVS area for the scripts mentioned here:
> http://ibis.riseup.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ldap_monitor/
>
> Jehan Procaccia's original instructions (in french) here:
> http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/Doc/monitor-snmp-ldap-rrd.html#htoc11
>
> A slightly modified approach and script here, by Andrew J Cosgriff:
> http://polydistortion.net/monkey/archives/2003/06/27/001812.html
>
> Pre-requisites:
>
> There are a few things that you need in order to do this, I cannot
> cover how to install these things, as this is outside of the scope of
> this mailing list and there are a number of documents online how to do
> this.
>
> The base minimum you will need installed and working: SNMP, mrtg, and
> a perl installation with the following modules: libhtml-parser-perl,
> libwww-perl, libhtml-tree-perl, libnet-ldap-perl, libfilter-perl,
> libparse-recdescent-perl, switch.pm
>
> If you are using debian stable, the packages that you would get are:
> mrtg, snmpd, libhtml-parser-perl, libwww-perl, libhtml-tree-perl,
> libnet-ldap-perl, libfilter-perl, libparse-recdescent-perl
>
> In addition the debian stable perl module Switch.pm is deprecated and
> does not work (in fact it is just a shell). You will need to do
> dh-make-perl --build --install --cpan Switch.pm to get this properly
> installed on your system.
>
> You will also need this script:
> http://ibis.riseup.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ldap_monitor/monitor-jp.pl?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/plain
>
> You need to modify these variables in this script: $DNConn, $PassConn,
> $Serveur, $Port
>
> Set up your snmpd.conf file to have a number of exec lines according
> to what you want to monitor, you can take this one and put it in your
> snmpd.conf (but be sure to change the community strings at the top!)
> and then reload your snmpd:
>
> snmpd.conf relevant pieces:
> http://ibis.riseup.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ldap_monitor/snmpd.conf?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
>
> You then need to set up your mrtg.cfg, you can use the following one
> as a guide, you need to make sure you change the community string for
> each entry so that it matches what you have in your readonly community
> string in your snmpd.conf, you also need to change the hostname after
> each one, and set a normal directory:
>
> mrtg.cfg relevant pieces:
> http://ibis.riseup.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ldap_monitor/mrtg.cfg?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
>
> Each Target entry has two "oids" separated by an ampersand, the oids
> begin with .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101 and then have one more octect
> after it, each number corresponds to the number of the "exec" line in
> [...]
-- End of excerpt from Micah Anderson --

--
andrew.tristan@ucr.edu                Unix Systems Group UC, Riverside