ldapdb and cyrus-sasl 2.1.17

I am in the middle of upgrading my cyrus-sasl from 2.1.15 to 2.1.17
using the ldapdb auxprop plugin... And am having a major problem, where
whenever I try to authenticate with the imap server, the ldap
daemon(OpenLDAP 2.1.22) completely dies on me.. I even completely dumped
and recreated my entire LDAP database(slapcat/slapadd).  I have tested
the ldapdb from openldap p2.1.22 and openldap 2.1.25 and both yield the
same result..

All I can see from the logs (loglevel 255). Is it looks like sasl is not
sending the realm anymore.. The incoming bind DN is
uid=user,digest-md5,cn=auth instead of
uid=user,cn=realm,cn=digest-md5,cn=auth.. I am using e-mail style login
names.. (user@host.com)..

I've attached the log.. from a
"slapd -d 255"
and running