Remote LDAP server

I setup and local OpenLDAP 2.1.23 server here locally at the house on a
RedHat 7.3 box, been up and running for a few months. I use it for
authentication at my SuSE workstations. I moved it to a new setup on a
FreeBSD 5.2 box at a colo spot here in town on a T1. My speed at the
house is DSL 1.5M/768K. The authentication now is slow. Is this normal
and I should just slurpd it over here to the RedHat box? The slowness is
of course, at login waiting for KDE login manager to load and then a
long wait when first opening any terminal or file system browser like
Konqueror.

--
    \\|//    Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>
   \\\|///   WebTent Networking, Inc. <www.WebTent.com>