quanah, everybody,
thanks so much for your comments and help on this one, the problem is resolved.

turns out that the novell ldap daemon was still running on that machine, even though i removed the software using their uninstaller after evaluating it sometime last year (presuming that it would take care of it all)

strange though that slapd didnt fail when started and would show up running in the process list..... to what port other than 389 would slapd in such a scenario silently bind?

quanah pointed me to the correct usage of the -d flag, after which i could see and "address already in use" message in the debug output, something that didnt show otherwise

so apologies for my clumsy configuration and thanks everybody for your spot on comments!
cheers
-frank

On 2004-01-21, at 16.11, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, January 21, 2004 12:55 PM +0100 "\"Frank Hoffsümmer\"" <frank.hoffsummer@gmx.de> wrote:

now I started slapd interactively with debugging on:

$ libexec/slapd  -d12 -f etc/openldap/slapd.conf
daemon_init: <null>
daemon: bind(7) failed errno=125 (Address already in use)
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3,
2003) bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
TLS: PRNG not been seeded with enough data
bdb_db_open: dc=svt,dc=se
slapd starting
daemon: added 6r
daemon: select: listen=6 active_threads=0 tvp=NULL

then, in another terminal window, my usual effort to add some entries:

$ bin/ldapadd -x -D 'cn=manager,dc=svt,dc=se' -h localhost -p 389 -W -f
top.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Confidentiality required (13)

but nothing shows on the console where i started slapd! shouldn't I see
something in debug mode when
ldapadd tries (and fails) to bind to slapd?? (using the standard ldap.conf
and slapd.conf)

this is so weired. please help
-frank

Frank,

Can you start slapd with -d -1? and add a -d -1 lag to the start of the ldapadd command?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer