RE: Slaves taking up 100% cpu

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 6:06 PM -0800 Howard Chu <hyc@highlandsun.com> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Quanah
Gibson-Mount

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 4:50 PM -0800 Jeff Leung
<jeffleung@mac.com>
wrote:

> Considering that we never specify a search filter, would
just specifying
> an index with:
>
>   index objectclass eq
>
> be sufficient (after a slapindex of course)?

Jeff,

Are you saying you never retrieve data from your ldap server?
 Any type of
data retrieval requires a filter.

Can you provide me any type of data on how you pull data from
your server
(I assume you must be pulling data from it.. Storing data and never
accessing it makes no sense..)?

Sounds like he's doing base searches on specific DNs, and the filter defaults to (objectclass=*) when nothing else is provided. In this case, attribute indexing is irrelevant since only the DN is being used to locate the entry of interest.

Howard,

Ah, I can see that could be possible... Although I don't think searching on DN would spike the CPU. I'm still curious to see what type of searches are being done (because I'm 99% certain he must be doing some type of search, DN or otherwise. ;) ). It is hard of course, to really know what is happening here without any type of output... I'd like to see some debugging output. ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html