Re: Referral Error during Request Modify to Slave

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Roberto Morelli wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've set up a master and a slave server.
> Replica works fine, anything added to the master is sent to the slave.
> A generic user can bind to master server and change own information
> succesfully (named uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net)
> but if the same user bind to slave server and want to modify the information
> he can't

Yes, well, ytou would need to rebind to a server that will accept
modifications (the master).

> This is my situation:
> OpenLDAP 2.1.22 on Mandrake 9.1 installed from source based on BDB 4.1.25
> (idem from source....)

Might have been better to run Mandrake 9.2 instead, which has the same
versions (and fewer complications with differing libldap versions etc).

> [root@prometeo root]# ldapmodify -D
> "uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net" -H l
> dap://master -w annalisa -x -f file.mod -P 3
> modifying entry "uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net"
> OK
>
> [root@prometeo root]# ldapmodify -D
> "uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net" -H l
> dap://slave -w annalisa -x -f file.mod -P 3
> modifying entry "uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net"
> ldapmodify: update failed: uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net
> ldap_modify: Referral (10)
>         referrals:
>                 ldap://master:389/uid=generic,ou=Users,dc=usl11,dc=net

Yes, you should then retry to the ldap url retured above.

> Idem with phpldapadmin, same errors.....

File a feature request then ...

> With LDAP Browser 2.8.2 all works fine.....that's the user can bind to slave
> and modify his information. In the configuration of a connection in LDAP
> Browser
> i can specify if I want to Handle Referrals...This is the explanation ? If
> yes how can I solve this situation with ldapmodify ?

Take the error code, and the url returned, and do a new ldapmodify.

For example, samba will rebind to a referral ... other apps just need to
have the support added.

If you are using your directory for user accounts, you may want to
investigate the smbldap-tools (package with the samba packages on
Mandrake). I don't think it does referrals, but it will take a single
master and single slave instead.

Referral support in phpldapadmin would be nice ... and shouldn't be too
difficult to add.

Regards,
Buchan