Backend authentication

I have read-only access to a "master" LDAP server, but don't have the
authority to create objects or extend the schema of the LDAP server.  I plan
to setup my own local LDAP server (OpenLDAP 2.1.22).  However, I would like
to utilize the "master" server for authentication purposes so that when
users change their "master" password they can still log into my local LDAP
server.

Is this possible?

Ideally I would prefer to setup a "shadow" system: if an object has a value
in the local server then use that, otherwise lookup the value in the
"master" server.  Again, is this possible?

Thanks

--
  Simon Oliver