Re: OpenLDAP as master of other vendors' directory servers?

--On Friday, January 09, 2004 10:08 AM -0500 Phil Durbin <pdurbin@berklee.edu> wrote:

Anybody out there with a similar set up?  People who run (or want to run)
OpenLDAP as their primary directory server and feed data into other
vendors' servers?  I'd love to hear success stories.  Or just tell us
we're crazy.

We are running Oracle's current calendar product (We started out running Steltor's product until it was bought by Oracle).

Rather than having the application use LDAP based information, we have it used Steltor's database format (which Oracle, as of yet, has not gotten rid of). We use custom developed CGI's to extract user information from our LDAP servers at signup time (we force users to create an account via a web interface). After that, their data is stored in the calendar server. This has some issues, such as data getting "stale". However, we also refuse to let Oracle pigeon-hole us into having to use their product. Some solutions (based on an event system we have here) are being considered.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer